The Town of Loxahatchee Groves has a very active equestrian population. As an integral part of this community, please be respectful and mindful of equestrians when they are riding throughout our community. Our roads are narrow and in may cases the horses share the roads with vehicular traffic. With that in mind, please be safe, be aware of your surroundings and follow these important tips when traveling through our rural community.
What can motorists do to minimize risk?
• Watch out for horses being led or driven on the road – leave as much space as possible to allow for unexpected movements by the horse.
• Take extra care on bends, crests and on narrow roads, particularly in areas close to horse riding schools, trail ride businesses and on rural roads.
• Slow down when passing a horse so your vehicle does not startle the horse, and allow plenty of room when overtaking.
• Don’t use your car horn around horses – it will startle even the most placid horse.
• Allow for inexperienced horse riders – especially young children.
What can horse-riders do to enhance their safety on the road?
As a horse-rider, you should:
• Know and obey the rules of the road
• Use clear hand signals
• Wear an approved helmet and footwear safe for horse riding
• Wear fluorescent clothing during the day and reflective clothing if you ride in the early mornings or evenings when the light is poor
• Always ‘look, check, and look again’ - the lifesaver look
• If you’re an inexperienced rider, always be accompanied by experienced rider/horse combinations when in road-related areas
Click here for information about the Royal Palm Beach Pines Natural Area and the equestrian rules and regulations relating to riding on the equestrian trails.